These aren't just my thoughts.
They're everyone's.
I'm just the one writing them down.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Love Train

It's been some time since I last posted, so I'll give a quick rundown of what's new:
-Hate It Or Love It has been read over 10,000 times. You guys are awesome!
-This weekend, I made the journey down to UCSD for Sun God Festival. I had a great time and Bobby Ray was amazing. Some guy named Drake was there too.





Anyways, on to business.

Hate It Or Love It?
Don't you love it when you strike up a great conversation with a random stranger?

I take the Amtrak for my adventures to San Diego. Riding the train is not by choice; I literally have no other means of transportation to get there. I know what you're thinking: what a drag. And I would've agreed with you after my first trip. But besides being more relaxing, the Amtrak rides have another benefit.

At school and back home in my community, I'm generally surrounded by people like me. Same socio-economic status. Same values. Same experiences. Hell, even same race. I've met a more diverse cast of characters sitting on that train than I have doing any other activity.

Once I get on the train, I always try to start a conversation with the person next to me. Each ride is like a two-hour-long peek into someone else's life.

On this trip there was Henry from New Zealand, who cooks for a living but is also a photographer, a skateboarder and an artist. There was also Lily, who moved to the O.C. from Virginia and dropped out of high school. On the way back, there was Vanessa, who was an aspiring doctor. And on my last trip, there was John, the Vietnam War veteran who also played semi-professional hockey back in his day.


One of Henry's drawings


Talking to all these people has certainly put things in perspective for me. Not everyone is born into a well-to-do family, grows up without any real adversity, gets a good college education and becomes an engineer or doctor or businessman. But everyone has a story to tell and I'm content to just listen.

2 comments: