These aren't just my thoughts.
They're everyone's.
I'm just the one writing them down.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

"C" Is For Center



What Is This?
This is San Jose about 1000 feet up. It's the view out of my window during my flight back to L.A. just after take-off.

Hate It Or Love It?
Don't you love it when you're one of the last ones to board the plane but still get a good seat? Alternatively, don't you hate it when you're stuck with the center seat between two strangers?

Southwest Airlines runs their seating on a first-come first-serve basis. You can check in online 24 hours before your flight and you're assigned a letter based on how early you check in. People with A board first, B second and C last. If you get an A, you're pretty much guaranteed a good seat. If you're a B, you generally have it okay as well. But if you have a C...well, you know what C stands for. C stands for center seat. Yes, the awkward center seat where both arm rests are taken up by the people sitting next to you and if you fall asleep, then it's probably going to be on a stranger's shoulder.

Today, on my flight back to L.A. after Spring Break, I boarded with the early C's. Please don't let me sit in between two people weighing over 200 lbs, I prayed. But to my amazement, I found a window seat near the back of the plane. I snatched it up and sprawled out with my copious amount of space. Of course, on an airplane, space is a relative term, but I'll take as much as I can get. And I even ended up giving the guy in the center seat the arm rest on my side. I feel for you, man. I really do.

3 comments: