These aren't just my thoughts.
They're everyone's.
I'm just the one writing them down.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Road Block



What Is This?
These are three students who are walking right next to each other and taking up the entire sidewalk.

Hate It Or Love It?
Don't you hate it when the people walking in front of you take up the whole sidewalk and decide to walk really slow?

I just hate it because I have to awkwardly try to squeeze past them. I'm sure I'm guilty of this too though. It's hard to talk to the back of your friend's head. And it's just one of those things that you don't pick up on unless you're thinking about it or people behind you are yelling at you.

Anyways, not a big deal. Just a little annoyance. But I try to spin the "hate it"s into something positive when I can. As I was walking behind this slow group of friends, I took a look around. It's amazing how you see your surroundings differently when you're not in a rush. It was a sunny day in L.A. and I think it was one of those rare times when I actually appreciated how beautiful the campus is. Then I realized that the ONLY times I really appreciate the beauty of what's around me is when I'm stuck walking behind a large group of people. That's a shame. We take everyday beauty for granted too often.

So tomorrow, I've resolved to not rush everywhere I need to go. I'll walk slowly and take a look around for a change. I encourage you to do the same. And throughout my day, I'll record my findings on my Flip camcorder. Check back in tomorrow for the footage.

Monday Contest!
If you're walking somewhere (anywhere!), slow down. Look at what's around you and soak it all in. Then take a picture of something funny, exciting, interesting or just plain nice that you see during yoru walk. Send it to me at (408)624-7198, email it to bryan.yasukawa@gmail.com or post it in a comment here. Next Monday, I'll select a random participant as the winner.
Some contest notes: Even if you don't find anything spectacular, take a picture anyways. Sometimes it's about noticing the little things, too. If you can't take a picture for whatever reason, an anecdote will do fine. This is an ongoing contest throughout the week.

5 comments:

  1. http://yfrog.com/jy0110001655j

    I see this view from my lounge everyday but somehow i fail to notice it sometimes

    And I think i'm usually the one walking slow where people tend to pass me heh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always tick off the bikers and walk in the biking lane, because the sidewalk is always blocked with slow pedestrians.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally feel you man.
    I used to bike all the time last semester but i decided to walk this semester. I realized it's really relaxing to slow things down in between classes and appreciate how beautiful our surroundings are

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive been reading this blog everyday.. and i FINALLY have your number!
    watch out cutie.. here i come (;

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://tinypic.com/r/2mcenwz/6

    Walking back from looking at the rally, I see this beside Janss Steps. A little hard to see, but aerial silk practice on the left and tightrope practice on the right. Always something interesting going on.

    ReplyDelete