These aren't just my thoughts.
They're everyone's.
I'm just the one writing them down.

Monday, March 8, 2010

You've Got Mail!





What Is This?
This is a letter from Selena Kuo.

Hate It Or Love It?
Don't you love it when you get a letter in the mail?

I decided to check my UCLA mailbox for the first time in a month. Among the stack of Bank of America bills and other miscellaneous junk mail, I found a pleasant surprise: a letter from a friend. (For those of you who can't read it, the cover of the letter says "I'm more interesting on my blog". Funny, Selena)

Wow. Who really writes letters anymore? What a waste of time when you can send an email or text message in a second. Yet getting a hand-written letter can really make your day. Yes, despite the glaring impracticality of communicating through snail mail, letters have a certain appeal. And I think it's more than the knowledge that the sender put time and effort into them. They have a kind of tangibility and nostalgic nature that emails lack. Plus, can you display an email from a friend on your desk? I don't think so.

Maybe we're all just too busy or too lazy to write a letter. But in a day and age dominated by cell phones, social networks and video chatting, it's nice to communicate in a more personal way. I think it's worth putting your pen to paper once in a while to make a friend's day.

I want to turn my thoughts into actions. To all you Monday Contest entrants, write your address here and check your mail soon.

7 comments:

  1. send me something back you jerk!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE GETTING LETTERS! I sent people letters a few weeks ago and got one from Joyce last week. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chanel Hung
    635 USC McCarthy Way #2254
    Los Angeles, CA 90007

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha now i understand your text

    thanks bro, make sure your return address is on your letter somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  5. Room 651 hit me upppp haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. yo i betta be gettin 2 those pics were hard work dawg

    ReplyDelete